Doogee has been known for its rugged phones, and those seem to be excellent yet budget alternatives to more premium devices such as CAT’s. Doogee (pronounced du:dʒi: if you wondered) sells well-specced, nearly indestructible phones at a bargain price, and if you happen to drop yours in, say, a lava pit, well, you wouldn’t care that much, and you’d just buy another one.
And here is one of these weirdly interesting specimens – the Doogee S88 Pro. It’s been sitting in our backlog for a while, but we are glad we finally got to review it.
Just like many other rugged phones, this S88 Pro has a Transformer-like look with a ruggedly handsome body made of metal and rubber for IP69K water and drop resistance, among others. It has a decent 1080p screen, adequate hardware for the job, a modern camera setup, but what’s probably the key selling feature is the enormous 10,000mAh battery. Wow!
So, the Doogee S88 Pro offers a 6.3″ 1080p IPS LCD screen, it runs on Helio P70 chip, and packs a triple camera on the back with a 21MP primary, an 8MP ultrawide shooter, and an 8MP depth sensor (that has to be a first). There are additional custom and emergency keys, you also get a fingerprint scanner mounted on the frame, while on the back, two eye-shaped LEDs complement the front notification light.
Doogee S88 Pro at a glance:
- Body: 171.6×85.5×18.7mm, 372g; Front Gorilla Glass, plastic/metal back with reinforced soft corners, aluminum frame; IP68/IP69K dust/water resistant (up to 1.5m for 30 mins), Drop-to-concrete resistance from up to 2.0 m, MIL-STD-810G compliant.
- Display: 6.30″ IPS LCD, 1080x2340px resolution, 19.5:9 aspect ratio, 410ppi.
- Chipset: Mediatek MT6771T Helio P70 (12 nm): Octa-core (2×2.1 GHz Cortex-A73 & 6×2.0 GHz Cortex-A53); Mali-G72 MP3 GPU.
- Memory: 128GB, 6GB RAM; microSDXC (uses shared SIM slot).
- OS/Software: Android 10.
- Rear camera: Wide (main): 21 MP, f/2.2, 1/2.4″, 1.12µm, PDAF; Ultra wide angle: 8 MP, f/2.2, 130˚, 1/4.0″, 1.12µm; Depth: 8 MP, f/2.2.
- Front camera: 16 MP, f/2.2.
- Video capture: Rear camera: [email protected]; Front camera: [email protected]
- Battery: 10,000mAh; Fast charging 24W. Wireless charging 10W. Reverse wireless charging 5W.
- Misc: Fingerprint reader (side-mounted); FM radio, NFC, Iron Man-like notification LED eyes on the back.
Unboxing the Doogee S88 Pro
The Doogee S88 Pro comes packed within a large paper box, but it’s a large phone, isn’t it? Anyway, inside you’ll find a 24W charger, a USB-C cable, a 3.5mm-to-USB-C adapter, and one small sling.
The S88 Pro also ships with a thin screen protector, which you can easily apply by yourself. Well, it is supposed to be easy though we screwed up a bit with ours.
We expected a tempered glass – like the one Ulefone ships with its Armor phones – but Doogee’s is just a rather thin plastic film though the maker is claiming it is explosion-proof. Right…